Sunday, June 04, 2006

"There's worse things than being centrist, honey..." #7

#1...So, I'm on my way home from work the other day, and here's what I saw. Two cars pulled off the road. There's a man on the side of the highway bent over the open hood of a mini van. Next to him is a woman, also bent over the hood. And on the pavement, in an uncovered child safety seat, next to the adults, is a baby. SO here's the thing. It was like 100 degrees outside. So, it got me to thinking...Should they have left the kid in the "good" car with the air conditioning and risked getting a ticket or arrested...Or, did they do the right thing in letting it bake in the sun on the side of the road perilously close to heavy, fast traffic? I've asked alot of people this question and seems no one can really commit to a solid answer. hmm....

#2...Have you heard these Phillip Morris radio commercials? I heard one that went something like this:
Woman: I'm so concerned about what to tell my kids about smoking.
Announcer: What's important to you when it comes to smoking?
Woman: I don't want my kids to ever start smoking.
Announcer: Go to Philips Morris dot com to learn ways you can talk to your kids about the dangers of smoking.
Woman: I'm so glad I had Phillip Morris dot com to help me safeguard my kid's health...yadda, yadda, yadda

WHAT?!? Is this a joke? I hope no one seriously falls for this. It's such pure evil. Do you really expect me to believe that this company is trying to put itself out of business by discouraging future customers? It makes me sick to think about all the "experts" they hired for this little campaign. I bet the meeting went something like this:
PM: We need you smart guys to help us convince adults that we care about their kids, but we want to do it without losing any future business...if ya know what I mean.
"Experts": No problem. We do it all the time. How much can you pay?
PM: Are you kidding? We have all the money in the world...*evil laughing*
"Experts": People are sheep. We can give them all kinds of tools to combat smoking, but what they won't know is that they'll really be using language that will encourage smoking.
PM: Can you really do that?
"Experts": George Bush is president, isn't he?

Paranoid? Just think about it.

#3...Have you seen this new Kool Aid commercial? It's got the big, fat Kool Aid man stranded on an island. He's written an SOS in the sand. These children are flying overhead in their helicopter and realize he needs their help. When they land, the kids discover it's actually SUS not SOS...I can't remember what the SUS stands for but it's an acronym for these new single packet Kool Aid powder things. Next thing ya know, everyone is dancing around the island drinking Kool Aid while an announcer talks about how they are only 50 calories. OK, on to the point...Here's what bothers me: Why do they have to tell us they're only 50 calories? Because America is so d*** fat...but they don't really care because if they did, the Kool Aid man wouldn't be so huge. Sure, you say, he's supposed to look like a pitcher...Why not put him in a skinny tumbler? Because they want to say: he's ok, you're ok. Fat Kool Aid addicts have a good time at the beach as anyone else...so, I'm attacking an icon, sue me. And I'll bet that 50 calories comes *before* you add the 2 cups of sugar it takes to make the stuff so yummy.....OK, I'm rambling now, and kinda foaming at the mouth, sorry....but here's the most important thing that concerns me with this commercial? Why does a pack of 8 year olds have its own helicopter?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"SUS", sadly, stands for "Store Unuf Singles" (Single serving packs of KoolAid.) What annoys the heck out of me is that the nice people at KoolAid are encouraging our kids to misspell. When did "Enough" start with a U? By the time I'm old, I won't even recognize our langauge anymore!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Robert D. said...

OMG, that one is the best point! And yup, I Hate this commercial too. Rescue turns drink pitch party... lol.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"sus" stands for 'stir up singles'. lol.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home