Thursday, September 07, 2006

Could things get any worse?

Of course they could; things can always get worse - at least up to the point that they kill you, and not, as some would argue, to the point that you wish they would kill you.

Allow me, a few quotes:

"Tobacco withdrawal symptoms include irritability, craving, cognitive and attentional deficits, sleep disturbances, and increased appetite... symptoms may persist for months."
MONTHS?!?

"Studies have shown that tobacco can be harder to quit than heroin or cocaine."
Why, why, why didn't I take up heroin instead???

"Nicotine has a half-life of 2 hours..."
I just put this one in 'cause it sounds all science-y.

So yes, I'm having a bad day (maybe not the worst as I still seem to have some of my sense of humor, such that it is). In fact, I've already been to the doctor today. It's funny, I never had any trouble breathing until I quit smoking. Apparently, my inability to "catch" my breath today is due to:
1. overdose of nicotine patch; patch is too strong (pharmacist's view)
2. anxiety from the meds or lungs are just trying to heal themselves or just plain crazy (the doctor's view)
3. who cares? give me the damn inhaler! (my view)

So, can things get worse? At 60 hours, 46 minutes I can say that if they do get much worse, I may literally go insane. And why write about it? I don't know - maybe it could help someone else, but mostly, I think it's so that I'll have a record of all this madness in case I ever consider going back to smoking - which is about every 5 minutes.

Picture me running away from the keyboard now, pulling my hair out, sobbing, and waving goodbye.


Disclaimer of sorts: Sorry about this grim entry; please bear with me. Also I'd like to apologize for using the word "damn" (twice now). I do try to keep a clean site. And lastly, I'd like to thank the Academy...

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert D. said...

Hang in there Fuzzy!

Stick it out! You know how far you've come? Keep writing, keep watching GI Jane, keep surfing those internet shoe sites.Push yourself in other directions. You can do it. You might not be sure now, but we fuzzy fans are. Hang in there. GO TEAM FUZZY !!!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could do it, you can do it!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home