Sunday, August 06, 2006

Top Picks

Here are a few of my favorite things this month:

Music:

While you're making yourself all gorgeous with my "Girly Things" picks (below), you can listen to the first album from Shiny Toy Guns, We Are Pilots. Four words: Awesome to the max. This is how I met them...The other night a friend begged me to go out to a club to hear an 80's cover band. And since I hate the fact that everyone says I never go anywhere or do anything, I agreed to go. So we get there, and the music is loud and I'm feeling very, very old. There were some opening bands that weren't much to speak of, and the buzz about STG was growing. Finally around 1:30 (in the A.M.) when I'm REALLY feeling old, the band takes the stage and apologizes for being late. Apparently they were supposed to play for a couple of hours, but now only had 1/2 hour left till close. (Their tour bus got stuck in the Mojave) I gotta tell ya, it was the best 30 minutes of live music I've heard since I saw U2 and Dave Mathews in concert (not at the same time). And they're NOT an 80's cover band....more like an 80's kinda sounding band. It's these 3 guys and 1 gal (very No Doubt). Anyway, we met the band after the show, bought the CD and got autographs. They were telling us about how they've been on tour all over the world. I think they're really going to be huge, and if you get the chance to see them live...do it!

Girly Things:

Clothing:

1. Notice - So, I met this family that invited me to a "Sample Sale". Probably some of you ladies out there know what this is, but I had never heard of it. I'm a shoe-cow, not a clothes horse. Anyway, that was maybe a year ago, and now I'm so hooked on these clothes (sample sale prices rawk!). They're well-made, exquisitely designed, and fun to wear. I met the designer too, and she was totally kewl. The sales come around every so often, so now I have about 20 dresses, several skirts, a couple of tops, and I acquired the coolest pair of black satin slacks on this last go around. I finally have clothes to go with all the shoes! Yeah...now if someone would just invite me to something fancy...

2. Spanx - Perhaps you've heard about these hotty-po-totty undergarments...Everywhere I look, people are talking about them. So far they sound like a dream, but I haven't actually gotten mine in the mail yet, so more on that later...

Beauty Supplies:

1. Iredale Shimmer Dust - I've been using Jane Iredale makeup for a long time, because it's all natural and good for your skin. I always recommend it. It can be pricy, but your face is worth it, right? This new shimmer powder is amazing. Try it and you'll see what I mean.

2. Bead Head "Eyes Love It" mascara - Last time I went to stock up on my Iredale stuff, the makeup gal introduced me to this great mascara. I've got pretty long, thick lashes already, but with this mascara, my lashes seem like they're a mile long. Every time I put it on, I hear "Tarantula" by This Mortal Coil playing in my head.

3. Schick Intuition Razor - I'd been wanting to try this thing, but I just didn't think it would be as good as it sounded. My mother included one with a care package she sent (thanks, again, Mom!) And all I can say is, WOW! I have the leg hair of a sasquatch, and the sensitive skin of a.....what has sensitive skin?...hmmmm, well, you get the idea. Get the one for the sensitive skin, and you will be hooked on the smewthness. It does take some practice to wield the bulky thing, and I don't recommend it for your hobbit toes (ladies, don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about), but it's really genius...

Bummed I didn't mention any work-out stuff? Well then, alls I can say is "Get a pull-up bar!" I know I could never have gotten that one pull-up done so quickly if I didn't have 24 hr access to the bar. Oh...and I almost forgot...I'll be announcing the winner of the Bumper Sticker/Bad Movie contest next week, so keep reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home